Friday, January 12, 2007

Treasures

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Luke 12:34

Whatever we esteem the most sets up our priorities and dictates what we value. If our objective in life is to accumulate treasure that only occupies earthly space, then it is evident that our hearts carry an inexorable amount of wasted efforts, as all will fade when we pass on to the next life. Yet, if our treasures are stored in heaven, "no thief approaches nor moth destroys." Thus, our storehouse in heaven is a clear depiction of the status of our hearts, whether or not our focus is right before the Lord.

Simply by examining the receipts that have piled up, the materials goods that fill up my closets, and the lessening of shelf space in the house, it is obvious that my current goals in life are very self-centered. Searching for practical sale and clearance items is notable and counting coupons is wise; however, when considering the time and resources necessary, the question remains: was it truly a good deal? Am I getting anything permanent from all my efforts?

I think, especially for the new year, that I need to stop and think about whether or not seeking for earthly treasures has dominated my life and prevented me from gaining treasures in heaven. I really want to challenge myself to have self-control, and instead of purchasing something for myself or trying to get a good deal, I want to stop and pray for a loved one or help someone in need.

Dear God,

Please help me to have heart right before You; help me to seek the treasure that does not perish. May my life be more centered on serving You rather than serving myself and my flesh.

No comments: