Thursday, June 21, 2007

opened eyes.

17 And Elisha prayed, "O LORD, open his eyes so he may see." Then the LORD opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. (2Kings 6)

I am hesitant, reluctant, trembling, and totally frightened by the future, which is contrary to how I was a long time ago. When one is young, the prospect of growing older and becoming more independent seems completely exciting; however, one never really takes into consideration the heartache, pain, and tragedy enfolded in those days ahead. When I look ahead with everything I know and see right this moment, I only see more tears in the near future.

To emphasize again, my fear is distinguished by what I see at the moment right now, presently. If anyone saw what I saw, I am sure they would likewise be shaking in their boots. However, what we often times see is not really what is out there. Our perspective is limited, to say the least.

In 2Kings 6, Elisha and his servants are surrounded by an attacking army. His servant looks at the window and sees the apparent; he sees his life flash before his eyes as the army approaches. Obviously, they are no match for their opponent. However, what the servant sees at that point is not the complete picture. Elisha prays that God would open his servant's eyes, and what he then sees abates his fear.

We are totally foolish if we think what we see is everything. Our eyes are hardly open in this world. If we are for God, who can be against us? If God is on our side, there are armies fighting for us. We just have to trust in Him, just like Elisha, and then the future won't seem so bleak.

No comments: