Monday, June 18, 2007

shortcomings.

"Should you help the wicked and love [a] those who hate the LORD ? Because of this, the wrath of the LORD is upon you. 3 There is, however, some good in you, for you have rid the land of the Asherah poles and have set your heart on seeking God." 2Chronicles 19

Jehoshaphat really did seek the Lord; he advised the leaders to seek God's counsel before making any decision; he took measures to rid Judah of certain pagan rituals and devices. Yet, in his life, there were, unfortunately parts that were questionable. There were exceptions. There were anomalies. There were deviations. Jehoshaphat was not perfect. He made mistakes.

His work probably got in the way. He was probably so consumed with the desire for success that he neglected to seek God fully, completely, and wholeheartedly. The relationships he maintained and established in terms of the nation and foreign affairs seemed practical, but in terms of what was righteous and holy, they were nothing short of being compromises. Perpahs he justified what he did. Perhaps he tried to weigh the good and the bad. Perhaps he just overlooked what was questionable.

In my life, there are parts that are in the grey. I can honestly say that I want...I desire...I truly long to seek God and His ways. But like Jehoshaphat, I sometimes make compromises. I think the problem lies in the fact that I fail to see the whole picture; my humanity and stupidity refrain me from seeing the entire situation; I am restricted to the present and immediate. That does not, ,however, entitle me to base my decisions on what I see. I am, rather, asked to trust, believe, and have faith that God will deliver me.

Perhaps Jehoshaphat didn't have enough faith, sufficient faith. When we're in this world, it's hard not to look at every day with human, common eyes. However, in every day situations and especially in tough situations, we're not asked to simply look at the situation, at face value, we're merely asked to look up, and trust God.

No comments: