Tuesday, July 10, 2007

trusting others.

5 Do not trust a neighbor;
put no confidence in a friend.
Even with her who lies in your embrace
be careful of your words.

6 For a son dishonors his father,
a daughter rises up against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
a man's enemies are the members of his own household.

7 But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD,
I wait for God my Savior;
my God will hear me. (Micah 7)

We all go through various phases in our lives. When we're young we are totally vulnerable and dependent on others; we trust people with little reservation not because we choose to but because it's the nature of our survival. Then, during adolescence we become completely cynical to authority. We don't necessary rebel, but we doubt whether or not older people can relate to us or understand us. But it's during this time that we give our unadulterated trust to our peers; we believe what they think, we trust their judgment. But then we become adults. We begin to realize our folly as teenagers, and we begin to shed some of the reservations we had about authority, but we're in an awkward state in our lives, or at least I am.

I want to trust people, really I do, but I can't. So many peole have let down, I have a hard time finding credibility in anything. I think I want to trust people because I want to place my reliance on something tangible, something concrete. But in Micah, we're not asked to trust anyone; our faith is not constructed on something tangible or concrete. We only suppose to trust God, which is hard but it is necessary to remain steady in this life. People will let you down; it's almost guaranteed. God will never, and that is a guarantee.

No comments: